Sunday 15 November 2015

Cagliari 26/10/15 - 9/11/15 Scarpe da trekking Dolly, Pizza sovraccarico, la vita consacrata e missionaria trasferimento news

Week 1 of the fortnight …

Monday. Today was pretty awesome; we actually did something for p’day! We went near where the 'la sella del diavolo' (the saddle of the devil). It was a long, long hike (for me). Americans are used to this stuff but me, nope! Anyways, let me start from the beginning. We went to do spesa, picked Roberts' package up, then did email. While we were doing email, the Anziani called us to let us know where and when we were meeting. (At this point we are in missionary attire (con la gonna..) and they wanted to meet 15 mins from then. We were about a 15 min bus ride away haha, so it could have been perfect.. but they told us that we might want to be in 'non missionary' clothes. Well, we didn't have time for that, besides, I don't have any jeans or anything with me; anyways (well, now I do, but I didn't); so we risked it and ran into a Chinese shop. I don't think any of us have ever bought jeans so fast in our lives. We tried them on, bought them, then went back to the changing rooms to get changed into them... Hahahah imagine! Then we set off to meet the Anziani. We were about 15 mins late, but it was okay! So, all of us missionaries and R (otherwise it's like a double date apparently hahahahahah gross) - got the bus to the mountains and started our hike. You need to remember, the only things that changed were our skirts ..into jeans. I was definitely not wearing hike appropriate footwear hahaha, but I'm a woman, so I bossed it just fine! It was long and tiring hahaha but the view was one of the most beautiful things. I cannot wait for you to see this city. Mammaaaaa mia. I have literally been sent to the most beautiful parts of the world and I mean that! It's just so lush. 
P-Day Hike to the Saddle of the Devil





Then we rushed back to R’s house for a lesson (got back, changed in her bathroom and she didn't even realise) Hahahah. Well, President told us to just go over and over the Restoration with her, so we did. This time we used the video. She loved it. Then she asked us if we wanted pizza. We told her that we were okay and that we had to go, then she called her friend. Meanwhile, we are trying to get her attention to tell her we need to go and we can't stay for pizza and that Roberts can't eat it anyways, cus she can't have gluten.. but she ignores us purposely hahahahaha. So then, her friend M came, with another friend who we have never met, called P and we start eating our pizza. Well, I finished mine and I signalled to Roberts to tell her that I can help her with hers (I wasn't being greedy, she can't eat gluten, so I was trying to help her out) and then she rips some off and puts it on my plate as discreetly as possible. Then P catches it and gives me half of her pizza too thinking I'm hungry and so I'm telling her that I am not hungry, but she's confused, cus I just took some of Roberts pizza and it was just awkward and I was so full I could have cried hahahahaah; but basically I ended up eating 2 fishy pizze and I was so so so full hahaha. (Like, two whole pizze - plural).

Tuesday.. Well, today we were determined to find the time to do something before DDM, which is placed at a pretty inconvenient time. We headed to centro to find K (the girl from the gelateria that we found a month back on the scambio.. with a brother called N).  She was there and was super happy to see us! The reason she didn't call us back was because she was just so busy. So I'm super sad, cus she really literally works all the time.. :( but hopefully some weekend or something, we can catch her when she is free! :) then we headed back to the chapel for DDM... but got on the wrong bus. Anyway, to cut it short, eventually we got there, just like 20 mins late. DDM was awesome. Anziano Molnar did the spiritual thought. He is so creative! He did it basically like a story that we had to act out and it was awesome. Then Haroldson did the addestramento.. which was awesome too. He based it on the talk:  ‘Becoming the consecrated missionary’ -Tad R. Callister 2008. MTC Utah. It was super duper awesome. Made me wanna be way better. Sometimes I think that maybe it will take until I get home to be the missionary I want to be. I'm beginning to understand why people say it's the best, but hardest 18 months/2 years of your life, because you're just serving people all day and that is the best. You're constantly surrounded by the love and support of your companion and other missionaries and leaders and most importantly you really feel closer than ever to both our Heavenly Father, our Saviour and the divine, sacred influence of the Holy Ghost, but at the same time, there is that constant desire to improve; and although it's a good desire at times, it is so so hard, because sometimes you just never feel good enough. It really humbles you, I'll tell you that, but it's just the best. A working progress, a magnificent journey! The whole addestramento was all very thought provoking. He spoke about the equal importance of changing both behaviour and nature. He said "If we only change our behaviour, we'll return home he same person we left." .. and that the way we change also our nature is my submitting ours to the will of God. He spoke about sacrificing fears, 'preaching by the way' (D&C 52:10-27), increasing faith, getting home out of our head, giving up pride and devoting ourselves fully to the Lord. He covered a ton of points. It was really well delivered! Definitely made me want to be better :) After that, Fratello C made lunch :)))) then we went home to study Italian, then went to see V :) We did a lesson with her about the power of prayer! It went really well. Then we helped her sort out the room of her Uncle. Then we just accompanied her for a little, cus she is alone and just could really do with some company. I love her! After that, we went to do finding. We literally spoke to everyone!! We met an awesome woman called G. Anyways, she had her baby son with her and he was absolutely gorgeous! She seemed really interested in our message and agreed to swap numbers :) After that we headed to English course, got there un po' late, but vabbè! That went well and for the spiritual thought I used a quote from the 'Come and See' discorso and gave them each a slip of paper and invited them to write down a question that they have about our religion, so that our spiritual thoughts can help them to better understand what we believe .. and so it can be of interest to them :) After that, we called S, the lady we met last week and got an appointment :) for next Tuesday

Wednesday... We started off with a trip to Quartu to see C and P. When we first got there, a different lady answered the door all happy and welcoming and we had never met this lady before, so we were all like 'errrrm ciaooooo😁' haha; but it turned out it was C's sister and she was super duper nice. Well, initially, we planned on finally finishing off the Gospel of Jesus Christ. (Baptism, the Gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end), but while Roberts was doing her part, they got distracted and we began talking about the Priesthood. The start talking about how the Pope and the priests all have the Priesthood and so out of 'curiosity' I asked the, where the Priesthood came from... Like who gave it to the Priests... Then the ministers, then we traced all the way back to the Pope where I asked them how the Pope got it and they were like 'boh, maybe the other ministers'; so ideally that would have led on perfectly to the Restoration of the Priesthood, no!?! .. but they then start talking about unforgivable sins. Anyways, after that we headed home for pranzo and lingua, cus that's honestly all we had time for. Our city is so huge. We've actually decided doing Quartu days, cus going there for just one lesson is a waste, so we need to find more less actives and simps from there! After pranzo and lingua we went to see R :) We spoke about how through the Atonement of Christ we can change the little things that stop us progressing, based on the talk 'What Lack I Yet?'. It went really well. We always have a great time visiting her. After that, it was finding finding finding. Not much really came of it and then we headed to the chapel for a lesson on the Plan of Salvation with A, B and a member present R!! :) Okay, so this lesson, it went so so so so well. We couldn't have used a more capable member. R was baptised just over a month ago, the Anziani taught him. He was originally an English course student. He is GOLDEN. He just helped us out so much. His testimony wasn't overbearing, but was bold and definitely invited the spirit, probably more so than we could have. If there was something that A or B didn't understand, he helped explain it and his explanations were just so so solemn. In the end, we invited them to pray, and R suggested we all knelt down. (He likes kneeling down :) ) and the spirit was most definitely there. It just felt great and I know that we were able to help A and that he understood it, because at the start; we asked him what he thinks his purpose is in life and he took a while to answer saying how there are many answers, but to start with, he told us that he didn't know, but then at the end you could tell that his mind was enlightened and he even sent us a text saying how he gained a lot. At the end while we were waiting for the bus with R, he asked us how he delivered it, so we told him how well he had done!! I think this was the first lesson he had helped out with (other than the ones with his wife, E.) He was super grateful for the experience and he is just the sweetest man I've met!!

Quote from R (in English) "I think pizza in a box is very sad" hahaha ..made me laugh. He would much rather eat in a restaurant.

Thursday, well first thing in the morning, we got a bidone. We began making love hearts with scriptures on for B...to ‘heart attack’ her. First, we went to do park finding. We met an African guy who was begging outside a shop. His name was J. He seemed really interested, so he gave us his number and asked him to call us! :) After that, we headed to B's, to ‘heart attack’ her door. Luckily the main door of the apartment that B lives in is always open. We got there and just went for it! No-one was in, so that was also a relief! haha It was a little awkward when people walked past and we pretended we weren't doing anything haha. Well we continued finding, oh, side note. I BEG YOU IF ANYONE HAS FINDING IDEAS I AM ALL EARS. I am about to go crazy with the amount of finding we do, due to cancellations and I just need something to put into the mix. Not much seems to be working, so I 100% understand and can sympathise with Ammon! Got home, received another bidone. Woooo! So LUCKILY (or maybe because we are blessed haha), we were able to fix up a last minute lesson with B... who absolutely loved the ‘heart attacked’ door hahahah. We got an idea from an Anziano who is serving in the Napoli zone right now. The office missionaries do this weekly 'funny story competition' and the weekly funny story from last week was from Anziano Tanner (super funny guy who was in the Catania zone when I was). Basically, we set it up how (this is only for new converts haha important side note right there!!) One of us teach with the new convert (so in this case, B) and the other missionary acts as a simp. It's basically a role play, so in the lesson we have time to study the topic all together, then we split up. It went well though and G would have loved it; too bad we are done with the new convert lessons with her. We might just do it with her anyways though, as we still plan on doing spiritual thoughts with her. After that, we had to rush off to set up for the Halloween party that all us missionaries were organising. B told us she'd give us a lift. We were really grateful, but by the time we got there the Anziani had decorated everything... Oh well ha! We bought a brownie and I made a spider out of black tape and paper to stick on top with cherry sauce as 'blood' Hahahah It was supposed to be scary! The party was awesome. A played some songs that I used to listen to at home and it was a trial for me not to dance to them! Hahaha We played a few games and everyone seemed to love it! A came too and one English course lady bought a cake, which was super sick Hahahah It was supposed to be scary and she had like a fake lung on it or something! A’s dad, Fratello DP make a lush cake. He reminds me a lot of Dad! He's super creative. He's super funny and he bakes too! You'd love him! Thennnnn we came home! 

Fun at the Cagliari Ward Haloween Party




Friday.. Weekly planning in the morning, made chilli for dinner MMMM, then after pranzo and studies, we went to our neighbour who lives under us, to do some service (English), because she will be going to study abroad in a few months and her dad asked us if we could help. They are a family of 4 (mom, dad and 2 figlie), so we are gonna try and teach them all... In Italian... About Christ’s church. :) After that, we headed to go find some ex investigators whose numbers we don't have, but addresses we do. At the bus stop this man started speaking to us. He was a funny little old man who thought he knew us (must have met the sisters before and thought we were the same). He was disappointed that we didn't 'remember' him haha. He then gets cards out of his bumbag and shows off all of his tricks. He was awesome and asked us if we could tell him when the ward does a talent show. He then went on to telling us how his wife died a few years back and that it’s been hard, but this passion for magic is what keeps him going. We ended up getting on the same bus (not our plan) and got to introduce him to the Book of Mormon. As we stated our purpose, as I listed 'faith, repentance baptism etc' he told me he is really struggling with his faith, and has done since God took his wife from him. We told him we could help him with that and he was surprised. He accepted the Book of Mormon, gave us his number and then asked more general questions about the mission. He thought that the church hires young boys and girls and pays us to do this hahah He was absolutely baffled when he realised that we actually choose to do this haha! We continued in doing finding, none of them were in, or it wasn't a good time etc. Roberts fell in the middle of the road, so we took an unexpected trip to church, so she could clean her bloody hand up, then we carried on. On our travels, we met some more Africans, a lady called S and her baby boy called 'God’s time' (that was his name.. Maybe it was all one word like Godstime. I don't know, but he was beautiful! That was basically our day.

Saturday... We began at the church doing a lesson with M. We had role played and planned super well. We spoke about the Atonement, how through Christ our weaknesses can become strengths as last time when we invited her to baptism, she told us that she doesn't think she can keep all the commandments, especially the one where we are to 'turn the other cheek'. We invited her to baptism again and we finally figured why she won't. She doesn't think she can, because she doesn't think it's possible to follow Jesus. What she really means is that she doesn't think she can follow Jesus perfectly, which we told her is fine. I asked her 'I was baptised when I was 8 years old. Do you think that I, as an 8 year old followed Jesus PERFECTLY or do you think I tried? (Rhetorical question haha..) I tried, it most certainly wasn't perfectly.. and what about now? I’m now 20 years old. Do you think I follow Jesus Christ PERFECTLY? No, but I try! I make mistakes, but it's okay, because I try and I know that I can be forgiven.' She seems to think that when we get baptised we sign some kind of contract promising to be perfect. I really love M! After that, we headed to X. She was really pleased to see us. We introduced the Book of Mormon to her and she was super grateful and excited and told us she is always there and to come back soon! So this next week we will try and set up a proper appointment with her! Can't tell you her name though, cus it's kinda weird and I don't remember anymore haha. Then we went to try and find somewhere that makes stamps for our stamper that we use for the pass along cards, cus we broke it, oops! Pranzo, lingua, then an evening full of finding..... We began trying to find ex investigators.. One woman was about to go to her TJ church, but told us to pass by one evening next week! The others weren't in, so on the bright side, nobody told us that they aren't interested! Trick or Treaters were everywhere! It's super cute though, cus the parents dress up with them and so there's all these cute kinda scary families. They also don't really ring doors, cus everyone here lives in apartments, but the shops remain open til later and they just go into shops really and the shops are all loaded with sweets for them; at least from what I saw, so it was sweet. I was wondering how they'd do it! Nobody was interested though in our message, as they were all preoccupied with Halloween, so we were like errrrrm okay... We'll go to the park ... Nobody. Okay, the big Main Street in centro, full of trick or treaters; none of which had the time to stop... So we were like well, we have about 3 more area books at home which we haven't yet looked through, so we'll make calls. A few people said we could see them, so we are super excited about that! :) Also, on the bus home from this we spoke to 3 African men, D, B and K. That was basically our day!

Sunday... Well, we began with church. It was an interesting one for me too! Sacrament meeting was awesome. I don't think I've mentioned this before, but this is probably the most reverent ward I've ever been to during the sacrament meeting.. Even though there are also a ton on younger children! The testimonies were awesome. I felt like a lot of them testified of our Saviour and how he is helping them through trials and hardships. It was just awesome. I don't wanna leave this ward. They’re very strong. They have some incredible leaders here! Relief Society was taught by Sorella S. It was a really really good lesson, all about the Sabbath and the sacrament. I enjoyed it a lot. This is what made me realise and reflect on the reverence that this ward demonstrates, especially during the sacrament. It was awesome! I told A how awesome I thought this ward was in terms of reverence (as well as other things obviously). Church was great! After that, we had pranzo, then studied Italian. I really struggle studying the language; I get so distracted. I don't speak as well as I probably should because of this and I want to change it, but I find it so hard! After that, we went to church for correlation. Then headed to A. Love her! We spoke about what it means to take upon us the name of Christ... and led it onto following his example. We spoke about how every lesson he ever taught, he taught by example. He didn't leave us confused, he showed the way then commanded us. Then it led to the extra guidelines and standards that have been revealed to prophets and this time we emphasised language. It went well! She told a ton of stories and before we knew it we needed to go home to make calls for the following week! Two ‘A’ quotes that made me laugh were:
She stood up to kill a mosquito and she was like: "I don't want this here now. It will eat me out in the night!" Then she is talking about something that happened at college and she said "This girl was so mad, she was vibrating!" and I was like 'Hahahah what? Vibrating??' And she was like "YES”. She was so mad she was VIBRATING!' hahaha. She's hilarious. It doesn't even sound funny typed up like this, but she cracks me up!

Well, all in all, this week was tough, I'm gonna be honest, but little things have reminded me of God’s love and have made me smile during the hard times. I echo what I said last week... Or the week before. The mission is a roller coaster. It's a classic line I know, but there's no other way I could put it. I love every minute and little things help me to love even the frustrating moments, so for that I am grateful!

I know this gospel is true. I know that if we listen close enough, the Spirit will guide us throughout our lives. Sometimes it feels like the adversary is louder and that is why it's so important to always be listening out for the promptings of the spirit and to always be willing to act. It's hard sometimes, but it's the only way we will truly be happy. The Spirit is a sacred, divine companion that can be with us all of our lives; a friend, a councillor, a comforter and we have this sacred gift, because we have a loving Heavenly Father and Saviour, Jesus Christ who love us so much, that although physically they can't be here with us in these very moments, standing with us, holding our hands, spiritually, they are .. and we can feel that reassurance through the Holy Ghost.

I love this gospel. It's simple. It brings blessings and it's true. Share it whenever and wherever you can! It will help others and fill you with joy.

Baci e abbracci,
Sorella Robertson
Xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox 

Week 2 of the fortnight …
Well well well. Unfortunately for you, and for me, I didn’t write up anything all week. It’s been pretty crazy. I’m just gonna share with you guys some highlights! :)

So, after p-day we went to do a FHE with la famiglia DP. I just love this family so so so much! We spoke about how the scriptures bless our lives and then each shared our fave scripture (or at least one of them) and spoke about what it means to us and how it helped us! After that, we just spoke about life. This family reminds me a lot of home. Fratello DP and his two kids, A who is like 22 and R, who is like 12 or 13 are awesome. Fratella DP made dessert. LUSH .. and we just spoke, then left to go home to do some area book!

The Caglairi District Oct-Nov 2015

Another highlight: Anziano Molnar did the addestramento since it would have been his last! It was super awesome. It was very personal and everybody gave input; like it was more of a really spiritual discussion. He is super creative. He'll make a great leader back in Germany. We were able to share with one another why we came on a mission, why we are still here and what has worked for us in strengthening our testimonies. He shared a poem and asked each of us how it relates to our lives and it was awesome, cus we each had different answers .. and so since this email is so short, I’m gonna share with you guys what my answer was to the question 'Why are you still here in the mission?'

-Because I love it
-Because there is a reason God told me to come here
-Because I know my Father in Heaven wanted me to come here (answers to prayers, Patriarchal Blessing)
-Because there is still so much more for me to learn, that I know I need to learn here and now
-Because the work for me to do is not finished and won’t be until the end
-Because I love the people
-Because I know that families can be eternal and I want to help others to achieve it
-Because I have a testimony of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. It’s a message of happiness and I want to share it!
-It’s the least I can do. I owe a lot to my Father in Heaven and Saviour, Jesus Christ and this is a small fraction of that which I owe them.
-Because very special people have been placed in my path here, both members, investigators and especially, my companions. 

Well guys, the list could go on and on, but I just wanted to share with you why I am still here. 

Another highlight: We saw C and her friend... They fed us SO much cake. It was like Brownie Italianized. 

R set a baptismal date. She will enter into the waters of baptism 5th December- SHE WAS CONTENTISSIMA! Miracles are happening!

All in one day, A, R and a less active .. ALL PRAYED AND SAID BEAUTIFUL prayers!! :)

The Sorelle cancelled a scambio... again, so we had to do an emergency one and had to go there... since the transfer ends soon and I wouldn’t be fulfilling my responsibility not going; so we made that sacrifice, as it was their turn to come here and we honestly saw so so many blessings from doing so!!! I also learnt a LOT from that scambio!! 

We had an awesome lesson with M. She even mentioned baptism this time!! :)

TRANSFER CALLSSSSSSSSSSSSSS … Roberts leaves me to go to Rome with the other Sorella
Roberts. (Not even kidding) hahah.  I'm so sad. I love love love Sorella Roberts and she has helped me more than she will ever know, on many aspects.  I stay; get my wish of an Italian companion, Sorella Rossi and we also get 2 new sisters to live with us. (Sorella Chandler, who came into the mission with me and Sorella Clark who came into the mission with Roberts).  I'm excited, because finally my Italian can improve, as I did tell President that I feel I would benefit having an Italian comp. She actually killed Nagliati (last Sorella to serve with Nagliati, before leaving for home). My main aim is to be her friend, improve my Italian and to work well with her :) In other news, Molnar goes home tomorrow, cus he's done, so he will be replaced and we will also have 2 new Anziani, so in this city, we will have 8 missionaries altogether!!! Exciting!

Sunday was awesome, cus we did a family home evening a casa di Sorella S, con alcuni meno attivi. It went really well and turned into an awesome discussion about their conversion stories, testimonies of prayer and of our Saviour!

I apologise again at how bitty and weird this email is. I will make it a priority this week to write something down each day, so you never have to read an email like this again haha

I love you all so very much and miss you!
I love my Saviour and Father in Heaven and for all that they have done for me, so that I can progress and change. 
I know that this is the restored church of Christ!

Keep being amazing.

You are each great examples for me.

I LOVE YOU ALL! <3

Sorella Robertson

Xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox